The Giving Closet Thrift Shop is a new thrift store that Crown Point Community Church will be opening in the Crown Point Neighbourhood (Ottawa Street Area) of Hamilton. The goal of The Giving Closet is to provide gently used clothing and goods to the community at affordable prices, while also providing an opportunity for people to donate and recycle goods that would otherwise go to the landfill. The Giving Closet is more than “just a thrift store”; it is an opportunity to form relationships with shoppers, volunteers as well as other community organizations and churches. The vision is for this thrift store to be for the community, with all profits being reinvested in our neighbourhood and city.
The Thrift Store Manager will be a member of the staff at Crown Point Community Church. They are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship and active membership or participation in the church.
• Bachelor or Business Degree preferred or commensurate experience.
• 2+ years of management experience.
• Retail experience and interest preferred.
• Proven ability to manage in a multi-dimensional and dynamic work environment.
• Self-motivated and willing to take initiative, and able to work as a team with the Shop Committee Liaison & Team, other employees and volunteers.
• Strong interpersonal skills, willing and able to work with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds. They should be friendly, outgoing and appreciative of the volunteers working at the shop.
• Ability to think on one’s feet and problem solve, with strong conflict resolution skills
• Ability to lead and motivate volunteers.
• Intermediate Internet, email, and typing skills.
• Current First Aid training, WHIMIS and Occupational Health and Safety knowledge (training may be provided in first three months of employment.
• Satisfactory police record check.
The Giving Closet Thrift Shop is a ministry in and of itself, providing low cost goods to people in our community, with any profits being reinvested into our local neighbourhood. Thrift Shops make a valuable contribution to good stewardship and a healthy environment by recycling items that might otherwise be thrown away. In addition, they provide a sense of community to volunteers and the people we serve through social interaction in a caring community.
The Thrift Shop manager will begin in August 2018 and assist with creating policies and procedures and withthe set up of the store. With the guidance and direction provided by the shop committee, the Thrift Shop Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Thrift Shop from receiving to the retail floor, promoting and implementing best practices throughout the shop. This includes providing oversight and support for volunteers, cultivating and maintaining a team approach. The manager will ensure that the shop is running in harmony with the vision and goals of Crown Point Community Church.
This assignment is available on a full-time salaried basis (40-44hrs/week). Assignment will involve working varying shifts, including Saturdays. Yearly Salary of $50,000 without benefits (or also open to a lesser amount with the inclusion of benefits if that is preferred). Position includes 2 weeks vacation per year. Vacation times must be approved by Shop Committee.
- Oversee the daily operations of the shop. This includes but is not limited to shop opening and closing; special events and sales; counting, recording and depositing daily cash; ensuring the shop is neat, clean and attractive; supervising, assisting and supporting daily volunteers; operating cash register as required; updating policies and procedures as required; answering and responding to phone and email communication.
- Oversee the daily activities of the shop workroom (i.e. receiving, sorting, pricing and recycling).
- Maintain product merchandising including layout, displays, signage and special features.
- Maintain quality and price control and merchandise rotation schedules.
- Oversee, and engage staff and volunteers in all areas of the shop to complete all assigned tasks for the day.
- Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those we serve, including the staff and volunteers.
- Articulate the mission of the thrift shop.
- Network in the community by attending and being actively involved in our church family.
2. Volunteer Coordination:
- Appreciating and recognize volunteers.
- Oversee training of new volunteers
- Lead and Manage volunteers who are working in the thrift store
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure volunteers are appropriately scheduled. (Volunteer coordinator will be responsible for the acquisition and scheduling of volunteers)
- Responsible for daily shop administration and promotion, including data entry of daily sales, mail, paying bills, petty cash, maintaining volunteer records, etc.
- Promote sales through in store advertising and social media
- Attend weekly Church Staff meetings
Working Conditions: The position requires working in a comfortable but fast-paced retail store environment and requires spending a significant portion of time on one's feet. It requires the ability to respond to the often-simultaneous demands from customers, volunteers and occasional requests for aid. From time to time there is also the need to deal with drug-addicted and/or street-involved persons. This position also involves the handling of used goods and the lifting of objects of up to 50 lbs
Please submit Cover Letters & Resumes to Pastor Jason Brown - Jason@crownpointcommunity.ca
Resumes will be reviewed beginning July 10th until the position is filled.